Tuesday, March 16, 2010

performing letdown

We found out today that the routine I just came to Seattle to rehearse was not submitted within the deadline for BluesSHOUT. This means that we can't perform it, and that I no longer have much motivation to make it all the way down to Austin. Every cent I spend now makes me think, "...but this could buy a dance lesson."

On the brighter side, I'm in Seattle and practicing with Topher. We took off some clothing and practiced in front of mirrors, and when dancing in my skivvies, I realized that I started doing some of Al Minn's moves from the diaper dance. Al Minns was one of the old great jazz dancers, and there is a short clip of him dancing blues in a documentary called the Spirit Moves. He comes out in a diaper - moving and gyrating - all his body integrated in a wonderful and sensual example of male dancing. It is one of those dances that so severely impressed itself on me that when I am dancing in my skivvies, I begin to do some of his moves unconsciously.

Dancing at Burn Blue, a local Seattle blues dance tonight. Still I haven't gone a night in the Northwest without dancing.