Monday, March 29, 2010

blogging from the Laurelthirst

I had a private lesson with an older dancer, who dances all the time, but doesn't train or know technical vocabulary. Brenda has said I'm a young dancer, lacking much of the musicality of a well-seasoned dancer, and my student today was the complete opposite. Dancing to Howlin' Wolf, she was busting out, naturally using African techniques like call and response and traditional jazz movements. Of course she never knew the names of what she did, but it was fascinating to work with her. In many ways she is a better dancer than I, but I was the one instructing her. I realized that I can teach many subtleties of body movement and help her make her movements clearer and crisper. This will help her partner dancing, but as for solo dancing, she was whooping me. She got the spirit.

It's always good fun to ask an older woman at a bar to dance, because they've generally been moving to this music since before I was born. There is much to learn, grasshopper.