Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday

Sunday was a long day, just like last week. I went to my jazz class to get warmed up for the day. After butchering the choreography (I was saved by the bell.), and then inhaling some food, I hurried over to Blues Lab (a local group of Blues dancers who meet once a month and give feedback to each other and to the instructor). I arrived late by the clock, but was relatively early. The Portland crowd continued to trickle in for another 30 minutes. After the class and feedback session, I skipped the potluck and headed down to Vega, the hip hop studio. I was a little late to class, but I stayed for three sessions.

Finally, ending the night at BarefootBlues, I realized that I hadn't stopped all day. The funny thing is that I'm not sure that my dancing improved very much yesterday. i had a meeting with a lady I think I mentioned before. She does energy work, and I am trading dance lessons with her. She did some Reiki- sort of stuff to me for a while and we talked about energy and chakras. I left much calmer, but very much aware of the excess tension I have been carrying deep inside. I have the closest thing ever to a tension headache that I've ever had. It's a dull pain deep within my neck at the base of my cranium. I don't have very much mobility in my neck today either.

I'm wondering how to balance my life at this point. I came to Portland wanting to study Aikido along with dance, and in the weeks that I've been here, that has fallen to the wayside of my many nightly adventures. I think it high time to start gauging the quality: quantity ratio in my life of dance.

I begin to see why people fear losing their passion for their love in going professional. I'm still far from that, but I am taking a rest day. Tomorrow I'll practice some lindy hop (and maybe waltz) with Rachel.