Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ballet

A blog seems like a novel idea to me. I'm not entirely sure who will want to read this beyond my immediate family, but let's say this is for them. The short story of my life: I was educated in private schools, receiving a good education. I graduated from Yale last May with a degree in Political Science, but about 4 four years ago, I fell in love with social dance. Now I'm here in Portland, OR trying to make it as a dance instructor, continuing my training, and drinking lots of good coffee.

Today was my second ever ballet class. It's really basic. "This is first position. This is a plie (?)..." But something about ballet reminds of the French term for an orgasm. "Le petit mort" is what I'm told, meaning the little death. It seems to me that that title is a very apt description of my experience in ballet class, and mind you, this is not a long class - Only 1 hour. Still, somehow ballet manages to make you feel all sorts of strange and new unheard of muscles. Not to mention how you are misusing all the muscles you've developed overly-dependent unhealthy relationships with. And posture.. pull that belly in, chest up, shoulders relaxed and rolling back. Stretch those arms.. elbows down. Good lord, I feel exposed to a vast unknown ocean. This must be something like what Columbus felt setting out for India looking for spices. I see the final product. In fact, I think I'll go to a ballet tonight (my first one), but how to get anywhere near there feels so far away when I can't even keep my knees over my toes as I bend down in pliet.

The exposure to all these new muscles has provoked an emotional response that I have only felt a few times before. Some sort of psycho-somatic phenomenon forces me to deal with personal issues as my body is exposed to new and frightening positions. I've managed to stay in control, keeping my demons in the closet so far. But one never knows what dreams may come.. what may be lurking in the darkness.

So ballet is fun. And I hope to start taking it 5 times/ week within the next two months or so.