Thursday, March 25, 2010

Disintegration

The quadraceps roll the leg outwards. The calf rolls the foot back in. The hamstrings counteract the quadraceps. And the glutes somehow pull it all tight, adding the final mmph. Sometimes, just sometimes, my knee tracks correctly over my foot, my hamstrings keep the proper amount of tone to add a pulse, and my foot rolls flat.

But most of the time this doesn't happen, and my knees feel like they're disintegrating.

But what I've been doing all day, and I do mean practically all day is practicing and laying the groundwork for my life. This morning after finishing my Oregon driver's manual, I passed my test and legally became an Oregon resident. Then I met with my friend Abby, and we practiced ballet for an hour or so, interspersed with coffee and breakfast. Dropping Abby off, I raced over to Brenda's to lesson plan and practice some Lindy Hop, only to come back home to find Mindy ready to practice more Lindy Hop. Meanwhile, I've been correcting my leg alignment all day. This is the reason my legs and knees are so exhausted.

Earlier this evening, I helped Brenda teach the drop in class at the swing dance and then social danced until deciding I should really go home.