Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why?

Last night, someone asked me why I dance. Different people have asked me that, and i think I've had many answers, but the truest is probably the simplest. I first started dancing, because I wanted to be tall, elegant, and attractive to women. I kept dancing for that reason (not to mention that it was fun) for many years, and I think that it only changed when I met Brenda. I remember the first class I had with her. It was a class on body integration. She was doing simple movement exercises, and letting the motion begin in the core and travel out through the extremities. I remember being blown away at the elegance of these movements.

I knew that I wanted to study with her, and I have since. Now my reason for dancing is even simpler: I want to move through the world with grace.