Thursday, August 19, 2010

back in Oregon

On the last day of Camp Blues, the camp spent about 5 minutes' time appreciating one another. During this time, someone came up to me and said that all the things I said were really helpful - even my comments about the psoas and other more esoteric topics. I actually teared up a bit, because it was the first time I felt appreciated for all the work I've been doing. It made everything seem a little brighter.

Ruel (one of the teachers at the camp) was particularly inspiring throughout because of his dedication to making each dance a party. There was more than one raging, multi-song jam circle this past weekend. Ruel encourages each person to participate, as opposed to making it simply a time for the skilled dancers to show off. He also encourages, as I have always thought best and I've also heard Brenda speak about, the outside of the circle to think of themselves as just as important as the inside of the circle. The people on the outside are in fact those who stoke the energy in a jam circle. It's so rare that I see someone who can inspire a group of people to elevate themselves - to create something beyond their individual dancing. Steven Mitchell blew me away at Swing Out New Hampshire with his ability to do this - both when singing and MCing. I want to bring these concepts and values back to Portland, and I've already been talking to someone about teaching a class on jam circles.

When I left Camp Blues, I drove down to LA to visit Monica. There we rode bikes and swam in her pool. On Wednesday, we went to the Santa Monica Farmer's Market where I spent nearly $50 on fruit and honey. I got some huge, amazing melons, grapefruits, tangerines, and Ojai Orange Blossom Honey. Well worth the money, I'd say.

This morning I got up very early to return to Oregon. I was hoping to get to Ashland in time for Hamlet, but the standing room tickets were all sold out. Now, however, I'm sitting in the cool Ashland breeze as the remnants of the sunlight sink into the mountains. Tomorrow I'll return to Portland where I'm scheduled to talk to Andrew Smith about taking over his job as teacher coordinator for Tuesday Blues. Also, this weekend is my practice training - a weekend for Barry and Brenda's students to come and practice with each other. I have a rough schedule laid out, but mostly I hope to spend time with some good ol' west coasters, dance, and work further towards the elusive.