Wednesday, August 25, 2010

first Rolfing session

I had my first session of Rolfing today. It included a general go-over of the body including the neck, collarbone, shoulders and armpits, diaphragm, hips, IT bands and legs. I certainly feel looser afterward; my knees have stopped their incessant popping, and my shoulders feel fairly open. I followed the session with my own Awareness through Movement (Feldenkraiss) session via podcast. (www.openatm.org) I have this fear, however, that the Rolfing won't really stay permanent. Andrew Smith had a huge transformation through Rolfing, but his Rolfer used hard pressure and painful sessions.

Intuitively I believe that hard work is often unhelpful, if the person receiving the work cannot relax or if the person doing the work doesn't know what they're doing. I believe in the power of easy release. The way of nature is always uncontrived. This makes ease seem like the only way to proceed, HOWEVER in practice, I find myself always wanting to push harder - go stronger, etc. This is exactly what landed me in the position of not being able to dance all summer, and I have a sneaking thought that says that the Rolfing isn't HARD enough. Maybe I should go to someone who will work my body harder. But I got a good feeling about the woman who is Rolfing me; she's the kind of woman my mother would get along with: easy going, good sense of humor, doesn't take themselves too seriously. I think i will continue.

Speaking of easiness, this really seems to be what I'm looking for in my life and my dance - graceful, unhindered, easy flowing movement. It's funny how we have all taught ourselves to do things the hard way. Even when my IT bands started to release, and my knees moved a little easier, my first reaction was that that quality of movement must be wrong. Only by reminding myself of the Franklin images and the philosophy of the Tao te Ching am I reminded that this is the way to live.


Ps. Tonight I'm eating Machaca Tacos (pulled pork and eggs) with Italian heirloom sweet peppers, shallots, and chanterelles.