Monday, August 30, 2010

I need some money - a preliminary plan

I really need some money. It's getting to the point where it needs to happen, and just like when I procrastinated in school, I can feel the gears starting to rumble. Sometimes I use deadlines as motivators. I don't think that's a very mature way to go about my life, but it's where I'm at right now.

Time is not hard to find, nor is money, but the combination of the two always remains elusive. This is exactly what I'm looking for. My goals in my dance have not changed, but teaching dance is not bringing in nearly enough money to pay my rent. For this reason, I have to look elsewhere. I've set financial goals, and it merely comes down to finding a means to achieve those goals. For the time being, it seems to be a food cart. I'm thinking of opening 2-3 different food carts and seeing which one works best. I have a few simple ideas about them, but the main rules follow: 1) the product must be simple and easy to convey to a pedestrian in a moment 2) the product must be simple and easy to make (ideally made from scratch - with most of the value added by preparation) 3) The operation must be simple in all aspects, so that operations can be handed off to anyone.

My intent is not to be creative or take any particular sense of pride in my product. I intend to sell a good product at a good price, but whereas many people get into businesses because they love the work, I am getting into this business to gain time and money. These values influence every decision I make. The project must be completely scalable (money), and most phases of the operation must be outsourced to others (time).

My plan is to find a cart that works and expand it. Depending upon my sales and profit margins, I will probably be looking to run 10-20 carts.