Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"We're all in this together."

"Everyone move on back! It doesn't matter which seat; it's all the same bus. Come on now, we're all in this together."

-Trimet Bus Driver, Line 4

------------------------------------

The above quote speaks to Rumi's story of the hot bath. It was nice to hear the same message coming from the mouth of a bus driver. The idea that we're all on the same bus, and you might be the smelly person, or sitting next to the hot person, or the old man driving the rascal, or the cursing angry youth, or the guy who can't find his transfer stub, or maybe you've got everything just right - we're all on that bus. The final destination is the same, and we never notice it because we're busy being caught up in our own worlds. Small worlds.

I was riding the bus to the Chinese garden, so that I could walk barefoot on the stones. All the stone in the garden was imported from China, and there are many paths with intricate patterns where small stones are used like tile. I was walking barefoot in order to help open and relax my feet. It's painful, but I think it's a good pain. I think it's a pain that will help me grow. Once my feet had enough, I sat in the quiet of the teashop watching the weather change.

Also, I've gotten a lead on a good male yoga teacher. This is good, because I need a mentor in Portland to help me shape my body and spirit. He is a healer, masseuse, and yoga teacher - and he sounds very proficient in all. I will check out his class on Thursday.