Tuesday, February 15, 2011

perfection

I'm seeking perfection in my body. But one must define perfection. Posture is not static - it is the amalgamation of thousands of tiny movements. Even the muscles and bone structures are constantly changing. Lance Armstrong says that he became a new man after his battle with cancer - literally, the chemo atrophied his muscles, and when he built them back, they came back differently.

I will not say that I want to perfect each of the thousand movements and each of the muscles (though I do), because that is impossible. But if one believes, as I do, that the body is a manifestation of the mind, and that every ill-taken position and movement is actually a reflection of my deepest self, then I find that perfect posture will not be found through training (though this may be necessary), but rather it will be found in the deepest self-awareness and forgiveness.