Tuesday, February 22, 2011

foundations

If I ever do make anything of myself, it will be due to one thing. I was never really good at anything. I wasn't strong, or particularly gifted in school. Never excelling in sports or games. I could make it through most everything beyond the median, but I was never the best. That wore on me as a kid. I always wanted to be the best at something, and I went through phases of practicing magic or playing basketball, but I never emerged as a prodigy of anything. Dancing was no different, and in fact, I was probably worse at dancing than most anything else. My first teachers tried to teach me to triple step for a long time. That was the hardest thing in the world for me.

Now I realize that I can turn my weakness into my greatest gift, and in fact, strength only comes out of weakness. As a child, I wanted to magically possess talent, but because the prodigy doesn't have to work, he cannot understand the struggle. The man who inherits money cannot understand the real value of that money. No matter what we are given, we are all spiritually weak until we forge ourselves. In asking to be talented, I was given nothing... and this may turn out to be my greatest gift.