Friday, October 8, 2010

the social network

It's a great movie. I just saw it for the second time. I keep doing that - seeing movies multiple times in the theater. Up In the Air, Avatar, Social Network. It seems like these movies all speak to the times, and if anything I'm connected to the times. I want to dress like the times; I want to dance like the times; I want to look at art of the times. I seem to be caught up in some sort of wheel of the world, and I only seem to be getting deeper. Would it sound pompous to say the course of my life sometimes feels inevitable? Sometimes I think think it does, but other times I feel like with awareness and connection to my surroundings, I can indeed shape my circumstances however I see fit.

As for my life and my business, I am plotting every move. I've been researching tax structures and laws, writing a business plan, doing pedestrian research, and yet... I still am aiming 20 years down the road. It's funny how all this fits together. A few weeks back I was blogging about a Nissan GTR, but now that I'm in the thick of planning the business, I'm not dying to have that steering wheel in my hands. I'm almost indifferent, but the image still sits in the back of my mind. It's like in the past weeks I did exactly what Tony Robbins suggests and found myself a desire worthy of motivation. Now, it seems, I have sublimated that desire, and forgot about it.

I keep thinking back to the car crash I was in during my sophomore year of college. A few days later, I started applying to Yale, and before I knew what had happened I was in New Haven. I told my friend Simon that it felt like I accidentally got on the express train when I wanted the local. Yale thoroughly humbled me - as I dragged my feet for two long years- but I learned to sit, and I was introduced to O-sensei. Three and a half years have passed since that car crash, and now we'll see what's really to come of it.