Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dead Ends

I drove up to Seattle during Portland tango fest in order to choreograph with Topher and Karissa. I also went for Etienne's class on Friday night. When I arrived at the dance class (just in time from Portland), no one was there except my friend Heather who I was staying with. So we chalked it as a loss, cooked some dinner, and watched a movie. The next day I had been talking about going to a clothing sale by the brand Filson, but the logistics ended up not working. Finally by the end of the day, after working on the choreography and getting acupuncture, Topher got back from work late and decided to back out of the choreography. I understand, because his life and work are crazy right now. I'm not upset at all the happenings, but it was funny that everywhere I turned was a dead end. In the midst of it all, the rain descended upon the northwest.

What did happen this weekend, however, was that I picked up the book, Heal Your Body by Louise Hay. It's a very small book dedicated to the premise that illness is first and foremost composed of mentally hindering thoughts. The book is full of affirmations designed to help heal different symptoms in your body. Her first book was written about her experiences healing her own cancer.

The book is much like Steve's treatment that I wrote about before - it's about redefining the way you see the world. Whatever happened this weekend, it felt really good to be in rainy Seattle and thinking about these ideas. I started analyzing my own thoughts pertaining to myself, finances, dance community, attitudes, etc. Just walking around, I started to locate the root of the bad thoughts in my mind. I would use imagery to rid myself of them. I particularly like the image of throwing the issue onto something I'm passing. Sometimes it looks like a giant splatter of paint. Sometimes it looks like a Big Gulp flying out my car window. Sometimes (but I'm trying to stop that one...) it's spit. I watch the issue fly away, and then sometimes i watch it in my mind as it recedes into the background - left for someone else to clean up. It's amusing to watch all the buildings, cars, and sidewalks littered with my issues. After clearing myself out, I choose empowering thoughts and beliefs that will help me. And I meditate on them for a few moments.

Now that I think about it, everyone has told me to do this - change my mental language in order to change my experience - Louise Hay, Napoleon Hill, Tony Robbins, Steve, even O-sensei in an esoteric way. All of a sudden this weekend, I started applying what I've been reading.