Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FLATTOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvxSZRVA3M


In LA, I went to see a dancer who my old friend Simon had recommended. His name is Flattop, and he was supposedly one of the originators of the poppin' and lockin' style of dance. He performs at Universal City Walk for cash. He is very much an entertainer: mimicking the audience, cracking all sorts of jokes. His dance is magical to watch. It's clear that 15 odd years of dancing on concrete has taken a toll on his knees and hips, but his upper body moves with a clarity and presence I have not seen in many dancers. He moves with crystal clear precision. Slow motion to sharp, distinct movements ripple through his body. When I saw Etienne perform, he did many similar movements. Etienne's technique and range of motion are superior, but Flattop lives and breathes his style of dance (This is not to say that Etienne doesn't...).

Watching him dance to really funky music makes me want to take more hip hop classes. Speaking of classes, the fall is finally starting, and I feel like I should be getting back into my dance routine. Really though, I feel busy from the prospect of getting a cart functional, my Persian class, and the many parts of planning for ECBF. I feel like I'm straying from my goals, and then I look on Facebook and see that Joe and Elena are practicing 4 hours in one session. Agh.