Wednesday, October 6, 2010

ECBF team and rhythm

We had an hour long meeting tonight about the ECBF team. We will represent Portland at the Seattle competitions. We laid out groundrules, and when we will have our final selection. It was only an hour, but it felt like much longer after a day in business class, a private lesson, and teaching a class with Brenda. Not to mention I was riding my bike everywhere today. But it did feel good to have things worked out, and after doing it, we went out dancing at Duff's. There was good camaraderie, and many of our barriers started to fall.

In other news, I've learned to start taking Brenda's advice that I need to learn to follow. I'm not really following on the floor, but I'm learning to follow the rhythm of more advanced dancers. Technique and rhythm are two very separate things. I'm fairly well-versed in technique, but my rhythm is often amateurish. Fortunately, I have begun to realize that many other people are well-versed in rhythm though not so far along with their technique. This has allowed me to have dances where I am actually learning from a "beginner." I don't mean in some esoteric way. I'm actually learning timing from the follows.

Brilliant.