Thursday, September 2, 2010

Rolfing, results?

I was driving to see some suits with Andrew, and I had just been Rolfed (3rd session) and ate some breakfast. I was leaving the parking lot, and getting on the road, when suddenly I felt some tension in my neck release, and my head extended upwards. I felt this same feeling in my arms once before. It's the feeling of trying to push your extremities further, and then you realize that it's exactly this pushing that creates tension and holds them back. Only release can facilitate full extension. I felt this in my neck, and suddenly I was thinking of a quote from "How to Win Friends and Influence People." (Yes, my latest self-help book)

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

And I suddenly started crying. Tears just started to flow as I drove. It's hard to say exactly what I was feeling, beyond a sort of melancholy from the fragility and temporality of our existence. I feel like the day will come when I will understand the things I do and say. When all their significance will become clear, but for the time being, I'm left with this lack of understanding. And I don't feel like denying my current feelings.

I want to drive a very fast car.

What does it all mean? Is the Rolfing working?