Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Damn

I went to the farmer's market, and just to be thorough, I bought Morels, garlic tops, carrots, walla walla onions, two pints of strawberries, and a half quart of chocolate milk. And then I splurged on a 15 minute massage. The massage (after a Pilates workout) left me reeling and unable to keep on very many electronics. It was really similar to energy work. This is either a sign that the masseuse was really good, or that I was really able to relax in his hands, or both?

On a dinner note, I'll tell you - braised chicken, garlic tops, walla walla onions, cranberry beans, and a homegrown salad is the way to eat.

Here's the key to enjoying vegetables and the farmer's market. Don't buy what you would buy in a store. Buy what's fresh, buy what the farmer's are excited about. Buy green, and when you don't know what it is or what to do with it, ask. And then you will have a good meal, I promise. I've been reading two books today 1) Salad Bar Beef by Joel Salatin - a guide to raising commercial beef in a humane, sane, and healthy way and 2) Animal, vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - a story of she and her family eating truly local for one year in the Shenandoah valley. The thing that has really impressed itself upon me in both books (through different verbage - God v. evolution) is that nature has a plan. We are best not to disregard this, but follow what has worked for however many thousands (or millions) of years past.

I encourage you all to follow my footsteps in the past 6-8 months and embrace Michael Pollan's definition of food (that which your grandma or Great-grandma would recognize as food) and feel better. I'm telling you, go feel better. And break the routine. There is more to life than apples and spinach. You'll see.