Friday, December 10, 2010

on cooking with care

Something funny happened to my cooking and food buying in the past days. I was thinking about making a lasagne a few weeks ago. I was cooking and cooking, in a hurry, operating on autopilot. It was fascinating watching myself work, because I was flying through the prep, doing everything very efficiently. As I was finishing the sauce, I tasted it and thought, "man, that's amazing." A moment passed, and then all of a sudden I decided to make it MORE amazing by adding some splashes of balsamic vinegar. Naturally, this threw off the balance and the sauce tasted vinegary. Assembled, the whole thing tasted great, but that decision to add vinegar haunted me. Why did I do that? Why was I unable to accept that moment of perfection - when all things were balanced?

As I continued cooking in the next weeks, I started to give some thought to Buddha's middle way. He seems to say we are all bouncing against extremes. We are joyful then depressed, etc. Likewise my cooking was a skill I learned through meeting extremes. Each time, my dish would be a little bit off, and I would correct my technique for the next time. I thought a lot about my dishes. I compared my past experiences, recipes, and instruction to amalgamate a dish.

Somehow in the past two weeks something shifted. Hardly noticing it, I stopped thinking in terms of past experience. I looked at a dish, or raw ingredients, or the content of my fridge, and thought, "What now?" I continued this line of questioning from the market through the preparation of the dish, so that my cooking became a series of, "What nows?" And I can't believe it, but my cooking is flawless. I've bought the perfect combination of things at the market without any plan; I've used everything in my pantry/ fridge; the cooking and seasoning has been just right. I'm not doing things the same as I was taught. I'm pulling unexpected things out of my pantry. I'm left feeling something isn't quite right until I track down that last ingredient.

I think I finally found that state Thomas Keller eloquently writes about, when you pay the closest attention to the details. Cooking in this sense is a deep awareness. This may adequately explain why mass-produced food is consistently unhealthy. It is prepared with minimal awareness. What is it about attention to detail that makes things come alive? The hand-wrapped gift, the beautiful and comfortable home, the kindest of words. I think it is the fact that the perfect action requires deep awareness and deep love, and then these qualities somehow imprint themselves onto the world around us.