Saturday, December 11, 2010

back to meditation

I've started meditating for an hour, twice a day. It's been a few days now, but this is the first time I've ever sat for an hour when alone. I sat for longer than that at Yale, where I had the support of a location and group doing the same. I sat for 10 hours/ day during two Vipassana courses. 2 hours/ day was the recommended homework when leaving Vipassana, but I was never able to do it. My mind would wander so fast. I've been practicing affirmations from Louise Hay and reading lots of other materials focused on changing one's thoughts. I quickly realized that it's very hard to do that. I just don't have the focus. That's when it finally occurred to me, in fact while reading a book by David Hawkins, that I have to get back to meditation. There is actually something in it for me. I practiced meditation earlier in my life without really thinking about it. I knew I liked it, but I didn't have a driving force encouraging me to continue. And suddenly I may have found that.