Saturday, March 19, 2011

a latenight birthday blog

IF we are everything we have been and everything we will be, if the notion of time is misguided, then my world makes sense. If you can feel the silence and yearning in a moment, because you are not yet fully what you know yourself to be, then you will understand me. If the goal of my life becomes to find that stillness - that silence - that knows itself beyond time, then I feel right.

I am worlds - a dichotomy of this physical body and the motion within. This motion shapes the body like wind the dunes. There is a surging within me. I see far, and I want to see farther. I want to see the ultimate motion - the revolving of worlds. I step; you step. And when we forget that this is a dance we are learning, there is deep magic in our rhythm. When we lose ourselves to the motion, nothing remains the same. Pushes and pulls do not encompass it. It's the silence of held hands in the park. This is the rhythm I'm yearning for. If you don't know it, how will you ever?

I'm a man like any other, and yet... and yet the static nature of my being grips me. My breath shortens. Can I break these bonds? No, I'm wrong. These are not bonds. They are my freedom, my creation, my wisdom and love. The true action finished long before the act is complete. The motions, the thoughts, the impulse, and the intent defined what you see. Every moment we're swaying, like bamboo in the breeze. Just as empty. Who is the man who sees beyond, who understands the whole, whose intent echoes through eternity?

If you tell me Jesus was a God placed into the flesh - like a fish made magically to survive on land, I do not understand. If you tell me Jesus did not fear, did not sin, did not stray, I do not know him. But if you tell me he was a man fragile, empty, prideful, full of the longing that I feel, then something rings true. If he was subtle and human, then I have something to grab onto. But if you present him as a steep rock face - insurmountable, unknowable, a mystery incarnate AND you deny the same to me, then what am I? And what was he? And how could we ever know each other?